Monday, January 23, 2006

Dreamation Renewal.

At the Dreamation Con this past week. There was a very useful panel discussion of game concepts on Sunday morning, and I brought out Contract Work for review. Most of the loyal Forge members were on hand, both past and present including Luke Crane, Clinton Nixon, Ben Lehman, Josh Newman, Jared Sorenson, and others.

When I presented the concepts of the game, Luke began to question the motivation. Why are these people killing? Don't most criminals in this line of work want to get out one day? Should that be a focal interest for the game? And that hit a spark off about the debt one owes being the motivation behind actions. While I still expect to maintain the structure and mechanics, I have something that was lacking before:

I'm excited about writing this game again. And THAT'S what I needed. It wasn't the mechanics I couldn't get my head around. It was the interest, the excitement. That's why the game dug it's heels in, it didn't want to be a bad game. Or something less metaphysical if you prefer.

If someone is a character worth playing in Contract Work, they are already beyond questions of good and evil. I can get a players interest by asking them to answer the big question through play. And it's even weightier now that it's not just "Why would you kill?" but "Why would you take up a Life of Killing?"

Answering this question decides the value of the character by telling us how much the player wants to spend on their character at creation and it provides the endgame. You've got to pay that last debt.

5 Comments:

Blogger Brennan Taylor said...

Awesome. I am glad that panel got you charged back up about the game. I am really interested in seeing it come to fruition.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Brennan Taylor said...

I think the Sons of Kryos were going to do the podcast.

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope, it is Perfect Score.

www.pscore.net

12:25 PM  
Blogger gains said...

A post panel conversation with Jared helped cement the decision to use debt. We were talking about Cyberpunk and he related the story of a GM who would give his Cyberpunk players everything they wanted at character creation, knowing the game would be about trying to keep it.

Now my players can even ask for extra cash to buy up their stats at creation. But that just means they'll need to earn that much more before they'll ever get out.

And you can now ask for loans if you run out of cash.

With interest.

Heh.

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never forget about the vig.

- J

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home